Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Night with the Pianist's Pianist

Photo by ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra
A night of culture with amazing Filipino talent and musicality on spotlight. The ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra and Ms. Cecile Licad in a rare performance at the CCP. In my 36 years of existence, it was a first for me to witness a pianist as the main feature in a concert. And it was a different kind of experience. Ganun pala yun. After the national anthem, the conductor takes his place, then starts the show. No invocation. No scripts. No banter. There was just music and intensity and passion from the instrumentalists, and silent admiration from the audience.  And I surprised myself. I didn't fall asleep, nor felt bored. As a matter of fact, I must admit, I enjoyed it. And even after 3 encores, I was hoping there would be more.

Cecile with the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra; Me with Madam Imelda; and Cecile posing for the fans
I was a kid when I first heard the name Cecile Licad - probably the most renowned Filipino pianist. I've read her name in history books. I never saw her play but I knew she was someone special. Last week, I met her face to face. Then last Saturday, she walks across the stage wearing an emerald- colored garb. She sat in front of the Marcos-owned Steinway piano, put her hands on the keys and just like that, she's suddenly possessed by the piano muse. It felt like her musical genes were on steroids, her hands turbo-charged. It seemed like there were three pianists instead of just one. As she caresses the keys, you'll notice how she mumbles every note. It felt like she's talking to the piano or translating the notes to ethereal chants. She was delightful to watch.

I feel that musicians are like athletes. They need practice to be good. They need to push themselves beyond what they know they're capable of. That's why I have so much respect for them. They must love to play because they practice every day, to the point wherein maybe they're playing their pieces even in their dreams. This kind of discipline I saw with Cecile Licad's genius as she plays the piano. It's not enough that you're good or gifted, you must have the heart and the willingness to hone the gift and be the best version of yourself. I can imagine the number of hours spent in front of the piano to be dubbed the Pianist's Pianist by the New Yorker. Kung tamad siyang magpractice, malamang walang Cecile Licad ang Pilipinas.

Up close and personal with Ms. Licad and my dear friend/photographer Edsel Misenas

I'm a fan of classical performances. Working with the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra gives me the opportunity to be entralled with the kind of music that creates a stir at the core of my being. I know Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart but I'm no expert and really, the names aren't as important as their masterpieces. I listen to them because I feel their music is elevated in a different kind of plane. And every time I hear an orchestra play, I'm hypnotized. I can listen to them again and again and again. And as I walk away from the CCP, my heart yearns for its next performance. This time, they'll take us to the magical world of Disney.

Photo by ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra









P.S. Thank you Edsel Misenas for going with me and taking all the pictures.
Disclaimer:  Due to the nature of my job, my tickets were complimentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)