Wednesday, April 24, 2013

CHENES and LT's Story of Strength

 
LT, not Lorna Tolentino but Linggit Tan. A TV Production Head in ABS-CBN.  She's probably one of the most hard working persons I know. I'm not close to her personally but she's got the  pleasant personality vibe. Someone whom you want to be around or just admire from afar. That's why when I learned that she's gotten the Big C, cancer that is, I felt sad. I must admit that when I hear cancer stories, I always fast forward to the day of reckoning. It's probably because of the movies, or my experiences of deaths in the family, that I've gone melodramatic or even exaggerated. Cancer is so close to home. My father's dad (Lolo Pedro), my mother's mom (Lola Sianing) and dad (Lolo Fred) succumbed to the disease. Ramir's girlfriend (Gigi) before she met me was only in her early 20s when cancer of the sinus took her. Ramir's oldest sister (Ate Lanie) is a breast cancer survivor while his father (Tatay Fermin) is still battling it. I must ask for forgiveness because of the morbidity but I can't help myself. Every time I hear cancer stories, my head, I think, prompts me automatically to ask these two questions... What stage? How long? Having heard of so many cancer stories, I know that no story is the same. But all of them, at least the ones I've heard, carry certain commonalities. All of them are living testaments of faith, examples of triumphs and proofs of God's enduring love and unfailing grace. LT's story is no different. When she gave her testimony in one of the fellowship nights in ABS-CBN, I was very grateful. I was once again a witness of how a weakness can be a channel of strength. She narrated how her life has been a series of answered prayers and guided pit stops. Looking at what she's been through, and where she is now, only strengthened my resolve to be brave in dealing with all of life's trials. Because it's true, we will never have to go through anything difficult alone. In fact, we will never be alone. Because He will always be with us.

She made me appreciate that our lives are used to inspire others and give glory to Him. When she cited quotes from the Bible - "I'll never leave you nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5); and "I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11), I felt a wave of gratefulness, even for the trials and challenges of my life.  I remember what Ramir told me on our wedding day referring to his experience of loss and eventually finding someone whom he can spend the rest of his life with, "May premyo ang mga matatapang." It also brought me to one of the conversations I had with MA professor from UP who related her story of trial to me and mentioned someone's word of wisdom to her, "If something bad happens in our lives, things will eventually get better, and even if they don't, we will get better." There will always be sunshine after the rain, smiles after the pain.  If we're strong, trusting and faithful, we will overcome every trial. He didn't promise that it would easy, but He promised to be there, every single time.

I'll always be thankful  for Ms. LT's invitation to that fellowship night. I was humbled and blessed because of her story. Before she closed, she shared an acronym which I want to share with you - CHENES, her way of dealing with her sickness. Bagay na bagay, especially for someone who's been in showbiz for quite sometime.

C - Clean Air (Pollution is really bad. And smoking too.)
H - Healthy Diet (Avoid the junks and all the excesses - too much fat, high in salt, high in sugar.)
E - Early Sleep (We need to rest. Our body needs to recuperate, recharge and re-energize.)
N - No Stress (Take charge of your life. Manage your thoughts, emotions, time and how you deal with problems.)
E - Execise Daily (Our body is designed for mobility.  Walk. Run. Move.  Galaw-galaw baka pumanaw.)
S - Supplements (We need an armor to boost our body and immune system.)

God bless us all.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)