Thursday, September 4, 2008

Artist on Impulse

I never considered myself to be an artist. NEVER. But something in me these past few days made me think of that. I never really tried being an artist. I couldn't draw nor paint decently. When I mean decently, I mean according to society's perception of what is an art piece. But I have colors in my head. Colors that I knew I would want to see on canvas. It was probably serendipity that I needed to go to National Bookstore to buy some props for a work-related video shoot. Then, on impulse, I decided that I wanted to try some painting. I bought an acid free sketch book, a set of oil pastels, brushes and water color pencils. I think it was one of my boldest moves to conquer the fear of scrutiny, of rejection, of ridicule. I wanted the colors in my head to be translated on paper no matter what other people would say. So here they are. A pigment of my artistic self. Five "art pieces" done in a day (with three made just before the break of dawn while my husband and daughter are asleep).




SUPERWOMOM'S NOTES:
I remember in the movie Cutting Edge, Kate Mosley (played by Moira Kelly) told Doug Dorsey (D.B. Sweeney) these lines, "Nobody tells me what I can and can't do." That's feisty. But I think that's the right attitude in every endeavor. No one has the license to size you up. The possibilities are limitless. Everything is entirely dependent on one's self.

P.S. Thanks to my daughter who always prod me to join her in her painting sessions. I think she inspired me to think that I too have a little artist in me.

2 comments:

  1. nice work. hope we get to see more of your piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna. :-) When someone says good things about your work, you get encouragment to do more. :-) I hope I can do more. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. ;-)