Wednesday, March 3, 2021

War in my Mind

I’m a listicle person.  I have a list of things to do, of things I want, of plans for the future.  And everything was moving towards the direction I envision.  Then suddenly, I’m caught dead on my tracks.  When ABS-CBN lost its franchise and the pandemic hit, a lot of my insecurities surfaced.  I encountered self-doubt, anxiety and fear.  My nicely pressed life looked like it’s just out of a dryer, full of deep-set wrinkles.

My demons are in my head.  My mind is my worst enemy.  I have a long list of what ifs. What if… we might not have enough… that things would be difficult financially… that things wouldn’t be how I imagined it. And so on.  Worries, that honestly, are stressing me out.  Then my rational mind, thank God, would cut my crazy thoughts and would always set things straight, and point things out - that these things that I’m mulling over, really, might not even happen. That worrying is a complete of waste of my time, especially since, historically speaking, none of my worst case scenarios ever materialized.

So what’s the point?  The battle is in our heads.  And we have to win it.

I subscribed to a plan in the YouVersion Bible app.  And it has lots and lots of reading plans that you can subscribe to depending on your current need or state of mind.  So I subscribed to the “Winning the War in Your Mind” reading plan.  I knew me.  And I knew that I need to reframe or rewire my mind so I wouldn’t dwell so much on the negative.  And Day 4 was spot on.  It was exactly what I need.  It mentioned that a tool for changing your thinking is the rewire principle.  To rewire the brain is to renew the mind.

It encouraged me to declare God’s promises, and put them as shields to bullet-proof my mind when negative vibes start to creep in especially when I’m faced with a lot of uncertainties.

I would like to share the verses that were included in Day 4.  This might come in handy when you wrestle with your “bad” thoughts.

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”  Philippians 4:12

“God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in very good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8

“God will meet all your needs according to the richness of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

“Do not conform to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”  Romans 12:2

The plan also encouraged me to write my own declaration.  My own blueprint of a battle plan.  This would be my weapon to bomb those unhelpful thoughts.  Sharing this here as an example of how you can also write your own.

“I will always be happy with what I have.  I will never experience lack in any aspect of my life.  God blesses me abundantly so that I may abundantly bless others.  God, in his faithful loving ways, will fulfill all my heart’s desires according to his wonderful plan, and perfect timing.”

I hope that all of us will be able to win the wars in our minds.  And slowly but surely be assured that things will be alright.  It might not happen immediately. But let’s keep on trying. Three Ps: patience, perseverance and practice can lead to the ultimate P - perfection. Thank you for reading.  God bless you.  May all your dreams and heart’s desires come true.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)