Friday, December 27, 2013

On Her First Communion

December 8.  Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  R's first communion.  I was overwhelmed with joy.  It felt like I was offering my child to the Lord a second time around, first being on her baptism.


Ramir and I where by her side as she walked in the middle of the chapel.  She genuflected in front of the altar and walked to her designated seat. I was eyeing in my peripheral view as she sang and danced to every song. I knew it was rehearsed several times.  She even showed me some of their song-and-dance combo when we were together.  But my heart was fluttering because she's happy and excited.  I'm also excited for her because from this day forward, she wouldn't just accompany us during communion, she'll have a place in the line.  And although she said that the host tasted like paper and the wine was a little bit sour, I knew that her faith is now on a different level.  She told me that she went to confession some days before.  She even shared with me what she told the priest.  And I felt happy because she has that humility to acknowledge her wrong doings and realized how important it is to try not to repeat them again.  My daughter is no saint but I felt that she's feeling it.  The reassurance.  The love.  And the wonderful feeling of being a child of God. As I witness her taking her first communion, I felt gratefulness.  A week before, St. James Academy gave a Parents' Recollection.  And attending made us realize that a strong home-school ties is beneficial not just for the kids but more importantly for the parents, because it gives school activities a whole new perspective.  I'm also thankful that the school prepared an organized and meaningful service.  I knew that the kids would remember this day.  As R, took her first communion, I remembered mine.  I was a grade 2 student of St. James Academy when I had my first communion.  And it was 28 years ago.  It felt good to have that special bond with her...  A faith-love connection, a relatable experience of my then and her now,  brought about by a Catholic tradition.



Dear R,
As you take your first communion, I realized how you've grown.  The 8 years of your life flashed before my eyes.  And I'm awashed by a sense of wonder.  It's amazing how my life has been blessed by your presence.  I'm humbled that I get to witness your love for God. And how we have grown together in faith.  May you always remember that the Lord is merciful and in every mass, we commemorate His love for us, that He offered His life to save us.  May you always find yourself in God's loving embrace, all the days of your life.  Mahal na mahal.
Mama






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)