Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Children of Isla Pulo - A Christmas Station ID 2013 Primer


Because of my job, I get to meet children like them. Children who walk to school, who're barefooted, who get sick easily, who help their parents make a living, who'd listen to any story, who'd play and laugh with you even if they barely know you.  I'm amazed. Because they have touched my life in ways words couldn't explain. Every smile, every memory, every story that I have been blessed to witness in Isla Pulo (Tanza, Navotas)... I'll bring with me.  As a tribute to what they have imparted, I'll share with you one of the games they taught me.  
The kids and me

This is a variation of rock-paper-scissor or in Filipino, bato-bato pick or jack-en-poy. This is played with hand movements.
My name is Sharon Cuneta... (Hands placed on the right hip)
Robin Padilla... (Arms crossed, hands make an L sign and placed just below the chin)
Erap laki mata... (hands form an "O" and placed in front of the eyes)
Gloria laki nunal... (right forefinger placed on the right cheek)

Sino'ng di marunong magbasa? (Arms roll, and right hand either make a rock, paper or scissor.)
To you Marissa, Sael, Ronalyn, Cheng-cheng and to the countless boys and girls of Isla Pulo, who've accepted us in their turf, thank you.  I saw my children in every one of you.  My prayers will be with you, always.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)