Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Superwomom’s Top 10 List of Pinoy Children’s Books

Thank God for children’s books. If not for them, I wouldn’t be able to really connect with my daughter. Together, we’ve read more than 10 Adarna books. I’m the eager reader and she’s the avid listener. I can say she responds well with books. She can identify things based on what we’ve read. I introduced her to reading by setting a side some of our time in the morning to just sit down and read. Based on what comes to her mind (I think), she’ll tell me the book she wants to read. Of course, I’ll readily oblige.

I started this reading session with R when she was still in my womb. I don’t know if it has anything to do with her liking for books. I love reading children’s books. I even dream of becoming a storyteller. And I’m happy to slowly realize that dream with my daughter as my first and sole audience (for now). After months of diligently reading to her, she can now identify what’s going to happen next or fill-in the words for me. She even points out the things in the book that she’s already familiar with.

I just hope that her love for books will be sustained throughout her life and I hope that I’ll be able to support her all the way.

Superwomom’s Top 10 List of Pinoy Children’s Books

1. Ang Magic Silya ni Titoy - A journey of friendship between an ordinary boy and his friend on a wheelchair.


2. Si Ching na Takot sa Dilim - Ching found ways to conquer his fear of the dark.


3. Bru-hahaha, Bru-hihihi - A little girl discovered something about her "witch" neighbor.


4. Ang Mabait na Kalabaw - A very simple story of why this carabao have our nod. Recommended for children learning how to read. It has short, repetitive and simple lines.


5. Si Emang Engkantada at ang Tatlong Haragan - Three children were taught how to take care of the environment.


6. Ang Makapangyarihang Kyutiks ni Mama - What if your mother is a manicurist?
(photo not available)

7. Chenelyn! Chenelyn! - A magical story about a dear househelp named Chenelyn.


8. Bakit Matagal ang Sundo Ko? - What do our children think about when we're late to pick them up? This little girl has some imagination.


9. Papel de Liha - Have you held your mother's hand lately? Are they rough? This poetry about mom tugs the heartstrings.


10. Ang Pambihirang Buhok ni Raquel - Why is Raquel wearing a wig? A brave story about a little girl with the Big C.



All photos are from Adarna House website. Please visit www.adarnahouse.com for each story's summary (except Ang Makapangyarihang Kyutiks ni Mama). All books are also available in National Bookstore. For bulk orders, visit their office at 2/F FSS Bldg. 20 Scout Tuason cor. Scout Castor Sts., Brgy. Laging Handa, Quezon City or inquire at tel. no.: (632) 372-3548, 372-3549, 373-9923, 373-9924, 373-9925.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. hi, great list! and adarna is so near my house.

    let's exchange links? btw, saw your post in n@w. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'checking out the n@wie blogs. thanks so much for posting this! papabili ako sa mom ko. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. shopaholictiestheknot and faye - thanks for dropping by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should check these out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. ;-)