Monday, February 18, 2008

Love "Trip"

Since it’s Valentine’s Day, let me have a trip down memory lane. Some reminiscing wouldn’t hurt a hopeless romantic like me.

1989
I was in Grade 6. He was in 3rd year high school. I knew him only by face. He has a group of "rowdy" friends who frequented a carinderia just beside our house. He’s the silent type. It’s probably the reason why he caught my fancy. I thought he was cute. But that was that. I haven’t seen him since.

January 1996I visited a gay friend, whom at that time, had a female guest. They were talking about a high school friend whose girlfriend just died of cancer. I don’t know the guy but I was moved by their stories of him - of how he took care of her girlfriend throughout her battle and how he stuck with her even on the most difficult of times. Honestly, I was impressed. I know no guy who would do that for a girl. Then suddenly, they came up with a suggestion. “Why don’t you meet him?” “Why?” “It’s no big deal. It’s routine. We tour him around for distractions.” Hmmm. I don’t know what made me said yes. But I did. By the way, the guy’s name is Ramir.

April 1996
I got a call from my gay friend. He told me they were coming over with Ramir. Since I gave them my word, I said ok. At 4 pm, the doorbell rang. My gay friend was leading the pack. But he had other companions. I remember them as members of the “rowdy high school boys club” when I was still a sixth grader. Then I saw this guy crossing the street. I knew I’ve seen him before. He’s the silent, cute guy who caught my fancy seven years ago. But Ramir has an advantage. Unlike me, he knew who I was. He would later reveal that he found me to be a pretty kid then, but I was too young and “masungit” for him. According to him, the very first thing that popped out of his head, when he saw me again was, “Si Miss Masungit, dalaga na. Maganda pa rin.”

September 1996
Every Sunday, from June to September, I received a dozen roses. But there’s this particular Sunday when I didn’t receive any. Thirty minutes have passed after Ramir and I have arrived home from Sunday mass, our doorbell rang. I answered it. I saw one of Ramir’s friend at the gate. I thought he needed something from him, then suddenly, he handed me a dozen pink roses. The card that came with it read, “Sinasabi ko na nga ba! Babasahin mo ‘tong card. Oh! Ngi-ngiti-ngiti pa.” I came back inside blushing. But I couldn’t hide my smile. After another thirty minutes of talking, the doorbell rang again. When I answered it, it was Ramir’s other friend. This time he handed me, a dozen white roses. The card read, “Akala mo isang dosena lang, dalawa naman, para maiba.” When I came back inside, I was blushing even more. After another thirty minutes, another friend of Ramir opened the door. I probably left the gate open. He gave me a dozen peach roses. The card read, “But seriously, I love you.” My heart did some acrobatics - jumps, flips and tumbles. I never felt so special.

March 2003
It was my 26th birthday. At 1 pm, the doorbell rang, my mom answered it. A kid gave her a brown package. Inside the package was a dozen white roses, the card read, “Parang nangyari na ‘to. Happy birthday. I love you." At 5 pm, the doorbell rang again, my sister answered it this time, two kids gave her another brown package. Inside was a dozen blue roses. The card read, “I just wanted you to be happy on your birthday. I love you very much.” At 6 pm Ramir arrived at my place. He pulled out something from his pocket – a little box so familiar that I had palpitations. Then I opened it. My heart sank. It was a rosary. I tried to hide my disappointment by giving him my thank-you-for-your-gift smile. After a while, he handed me a card. I read it. There was the dictionary meaning of the word miracle - /mir-a-cle/ - an occurrence with Divine intervention. Then he wrote, “alam mo ba na ikaw ang ikino-consider ko na miracle sa buhay ko. Ikaw ang dahilan kung bakit masaya ako. Mahal na mahal kita.” Then he took something out of his pocket – a tiny porcelain jewelry box, then he opened it. He got my left hand, took off the horseshoe ring he gave me on our first anniversary, then slipped a new ring with a heart-shaped aquamarine stud. Of course, it wouldn’t complete without his, “Will you marry me?”

On December 20, 2003, a day short of our seventh anniversary as boyfriend and girlfriend, we took a vow to love each other for the rest of our lives.

8 comments:

  1. so sweet :D i've added your link already.

    mari from n@w

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... he was part of your history...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh... that is a very touching love story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello danie,

    I'm a nawie and got your link from N@w, I'll link you up, pa-add na rin ng link ko, thanks.

    agnes

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaaww..so sweet...:) you are so blessed sis! I added your link na..hope you can add me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mari, mec and kreez - thanks so much.

    agnes and rocks - thanks so much, kaya lang hindi ko kayo mai-link. paano kaya? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ang sweet naman! =)

    hi danie! i'm divine, a fellow n@wie.
    your ccx 2006 also ( tama ba ako ng yr..hehe).
    anyway, i added your link in my blog na.
    pa-add na rin po ng link ko. newbie blogger din...hehe.
    thanks.
    God bless. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi! just blog hopping! your love story is wonderful! goodluck to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. ;-)