Tuesday, February 19, 2008

DEATH TO A MOLAR - dental extracttion 101


It’s a case of a 3rd upper molar gone berserk. It had a mind of its own when it decided to grow sideways. Instead of the usual downward growth, it grew side by side with my left cheek. This made me bit my cheek every time I chew. If not for this discomfort, I wouldn’t sentence this molar to extinction.

I had my 3rd molar extracted. It was painless through anesthesia. But of course, after the numbing has subsided, there was a slight tingling sensation but nothing to complain about really. The thing was, I didn’t realize how surreal the experience would be. I couldn’t remember the last time I had a tooth extraction. I couldn’t remember the feeling of having to undergo the procedure nor anything associated with it. It was “huh?!” to me. The dentist told me to inhale and exhale as she put the needle in my gums. The inhale and exhale thing worked, I didn’t feel the needle prick. Then she told me to wait a while for the anesthesia to take effect. After about 10 to 15 minutes, she did something with my tooth and asked if I felt anything. I told her, none. Then she told me that she’ll proceed. After some tugging, pushing and pulling, the molar gave in. Then she handed me a small pack of ice to put in my cheek and gave me a sheet of paper. Below is what’s written on that paper verbatim.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARE AFTER DENTAL EXTRACTION
Maipid, Munoz and Pangilinan Dental Clinic
Unit 202 Heart of the City Condominium
40 Sgt. Esguerra Avenue, Quezon City
Telephone no. 924-1632

1. Bite on gauze at least 30mins. If bleeding continues, place a gauze pack directly over the bleeding point and bite or press firmly after an hour.
2. To prevent dislodging the blood clot, DO NOT spit excessively, drink through a straw, smoke for at least 72 hours, or rinse the mouth vigorously on the day of surgery.
3. Keep the mouth clean to prevent secondary infection. Brush your teeth and tongue gently. Flossing may be deferred until pain subsides.
4. To prevent swelling, apply cold compress or ice wrapped in a towel against the face near the affected site after the procedure. Do this for 30 minutes, then remove it for 30 minutes and repeat. Cold also reduces bleeding.
5. Take pain relievers or analgesics to control pain or discomfort.
6. The diet should consist of cool fluids and soft foods for the first day.
7. Strenuous activities or exercises should be avoided for 24 hours.
8. After 24 hours, rinse the mouth with warm salt water (1/2 tsp. salt per glass of lukewarm water). DO this 3 to 5 times a day for 7 days.

I hope anyone who would have to undergo the procedure or have done so recently would find these infos useful.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Danie,

    Link away, I will also add your link as soon as I figure out how to resolve the error i get when I try to add links. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danie,

    I have linked your spot, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. something for u -> http://shopaholictiestheknot.blogspot.com/2008/02/sexiest.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi danie... if you're up for tags, i have one for u. visit me http://coffeenchoclate.blogspot.com/2008/02/lets-play-domino.html , btw, have added you already

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. ;-)