Monday, July 13, 2015

Book #1: When Zero Left Number Land

I have been meaning to write about books for children.  Not as an endorsement but as a way of imparting resource materials that might be useful to parents who want to be active in educating their children.  And as a mom who almost always gave in to read-me-a-story requests or teach-me-how-to-read activities, I have seen how my kids progressed from single-letter readers to book finishers.  

I have a love affair with children's literature.  I have enjoyed every moment reading short stories for kids.  As a single woman, I have cherished the times I volunteered as a storyteller for Alitaptap Storytellers Philippines.  Seeing children's eyes light up with every story has become a very rewarding experience for me.  When I became pregnant, I started reading stories to my still unborn baby.  And I never stopped. Booksale and National Bookstore became my favorite go-to place.  I have learned to reward my kids with books. And books became their favorite pasalubong.  I became a fan of Filipino authors and illustrators.  Book-shopping became a must in almost all mall visit. 

I'll start with this post.  I would want to share a book I've found interesting.  I hope you'll share one too.  This is in the hope that we'll eventually create a caring community that encourages reading and love of learning.  


TITLE: When Zero Left Number Land
AUTHOR: Maita Songco Salvador
ILLUSTRATOR: Iori Espiritu
PUBLISHER: Adarna Books
LANGUAGE: English and Filipino
WHERE I BOUGHT IT: Adarna House, 109 Scout Fernandez cor Scout Torillo Sts
Brgy Sacred Heart, Quezon City, Philippines
AGE-APPROPRIATENESS: 6-7 years old (good for kids who are learning how to count beyond 10)

SUMMARY:
When Zero Left Number Land is a story written as a poem.  It narrates how Zero decided to leave Number Land when his fellow numbers rallied against him because they thought he's a number of no value. The same bunch convinced him to come back when they realized that they badly need him.

I think every concept becomes easier to digest when it's explained through a story.  When Zero Left Number Land points out a simple mathematical premise - that zero is a number that's very much needed to progress counting after nine.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. ;-)